• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
21 Nov 2023 19:47 #18206 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Jeremy's 753
Only did a few little things this morning, had to keep clean to spend the afternoon at the dentist.  Good news is the dentist stuff is all done now. 

I always like to put the birthing of new tools or mods in the restoration topic of the tractor that inspired it so this one is from Jeremy's ride.  I finished making a full kit for this rearend this morning.  The turned down portions that go inside the case are also turned back 3/16" which is where the bearing should sit.  These can also be used when open bearings are pressed in to get the correct setback, or recess the seal a little if need be.  I also made a piece that fit a tiny bit loose to put in where the rear hitch pin goes through.  The shifter hole just gets a nylon hole plug to keep paint out of there.

There are a few other pieces that will have to be made for other transmissions but at least this is a good start.  I'll still put this in the home made tool section soon in case others want to make something like this.  

Tomorrow is start putting more of this one together, it will be fun time for sure.  

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Nov 2023 14:27 #18207 by Geno
Phone is pretty quiet and things are moving along good today.  First thing this morning I got some of the new goodies out that I hope to get put on today.  Lining the tower bottom was first, then getting the shifter in and set up. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Nov 2023 14:36 #18208 by Geno
Next up was seals, then new keys all around and putting the rest of the rearend parts on.  One thing I've always liked is seeing new seals without any paint on them.  I guess it doesn't matter a lot since the pulleys and hubs cover them up but I still like it...  

There's more but I don't have pics yet and the day is young, another update will come later today. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Nov 2023 18:07 #18209 by Geno
Next up was lining the tower bottom and tool box, and putting the protective cover on the back of the box like they use on the newer ones for electrical protection.  Can't have scratches all over the places where you put stuff lol. 

It's all on the tractor and looks really nice.  I  put a close up of the pins we use for the slot attachments, they have a snap ball in them so they don't bounce out or get lost if nothing is in the slot and fit perfect.   I have a lot of pics of the progress so I'll put them all up in 2 posts. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
22 Nov 2023 18:11 #18210 by Geno
These are just more pics that are close ups. 

If you see a thick head yellow zinc bolt they are all grade 9, yellow zinc washers are grade 8, everything else is grade 5.  I never use cheap stuff...  

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
24 Nov 2023 19:25 #18211 by Geno
Finished up a lot of little things today.  I bought a ton of mufflers years ago and it was nice to see that they were heavy made in Taiwan parts instead of the light steel made in China stuff around today.  The starter/generator, regulator, new Toro belt and belt guard is on it.  I think most of the little stuff is all done, you can see all of that in the pics. 

Next up was the wiring got started on.  The point set wire was looking pretty rough so it got replaced.  I haven't shown any pics from the heat/de-soldering air gun in use here yet, I use it mostly for heat shrink.  I can adjust air speed and temp from 200 - 896 degrees.  It's always already out, ready to go, and a lot quicker than getting out the big heat gun which is way to hot for this little stuff anyway. 

Got a good start on it today and it's also the first tractor to get the new copper braided grounds we have now.  They are really nice and add to the personality and color type stuff I like to do on tractors lol. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
24 Nov 2023 19:34 #18212 by Geno
Some pics of the start on the wiring.  Everything is color coded to the factory schematic except the yellow field wire.  They had it black originally, but the front regulator wire to the battery cable post is also black.  To avoid confusion I never thought they should both be black so I leave the front black and the rear field wire yellow...  

Welcome to the Stables!

More
27 Nov 2023 18:22 #18213 by Jhunter
Replied by Jhunter on topic Jeremy's 753
Things are looking great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
27 Nov 2023 18:39 - 27 Nov 2023 18:39 #18214 by Geno
Thanks Jeremy. 

Finished up most of the wiring today, made the last battery cable to the generator, put the fuel tank on for a test fit and see where the ammeter wires would end up.  Put oil in the engine and closed it up, it's now ready to run minus fuel.  Will wrap up the wiring tomorrow morning, the original insulator on the start switch looks pretty good but gonna make a new insulator in the morning to go under the factory one just in case. 

Other than that a few other little things are done but it's Monday and everyone knows how crazy Mondays are around here... 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Nov 2023 18:39 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
28 Nov 2023 18:09 #18215 by Geno
Made the extra insulator for the start switch first thing this morning, now we can sleep a little better.  I also made a pattern for it that I've been meaning to do for a long time...  After that was just a lot more little things.  Thursday will be paint the fuel tank + rims, then I should hopefully be finished up on Friday. 

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds