• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
06 Nov 2023 18:57 #18171 by Geno
Jeremy's 753 was created by Geno
Haven't put anything in here for awhile but Jeremy and prob some of the family will be following along on this one.  He's been a member here for over 6 years but like most peeps are just the reading type.

His family had a Wheel Horse dealership for over 40 years so it will be real nice to talk about parts and fixes with someone that knowledgeable.  It got started on this afternoon so here it is.  

Some before pics.

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
06 Nov 2023 19:03 #18172 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Jeremy's 753
The main thing done this afternoon was getting some things apart and ready to steam clean, and getting to all the shafts to let them sit in penetrating fluid over night.  Most things are pretty stuck but some parts are already off.  We'll see about the rest tomorrow.

Welcome to the Stables!

More
07 Nov 2023 11:13 - 07 Nov 2023 15:37 #18173 by Jhunter
Replied by Jhunter on topic Jeremy's 753
This tractor was my wife's grandfathers tractor. He bought it new from one of the 2 dealers in Geauga County, Ohio one of which was my our family's dealership. I have been waiting several years now to have Geno works his magic. Here are some more before pics. 

Last edit: 07 Nov 2023 15:37 by Geno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Nov 2023 18:54 #18174 by Geno
A few general before pics and the fuel tank leaks after the hood was taken off this morning. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Nov 2023 19:13 #18175 by Geno
Then the fun began..  The rear slot hitch pin was coming out the hard way.  I do them with a 4" x 1/16 cutting wheel with the guard removed but of course this is not recommended...  It still makes me nervous to do things this way, I was hurt doing something like this about 30 years ago on a car I was restoring when a disc shattered.    

I also press out the outer pieces a lot so I'm used to it, but if anyone is doing this for the first time it's a tough thing to do even for me and with a special tool and receiver I made for the press.  I made a press receiver on the lathe years ago that was bored for a pin to go into, and the 3/4" piece in the press for this has been turned down and tapered on the end so it doesn't bind up.  There's not a lot of lip to put on the 1/2" blocks and still press the pin out so it's a careful operation to do.  I don't like heating things unless it's a total last resort as it weakens and warps things.  

The main thing I keep in mind other than safety is saving parts that aren't made anymore.

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Nov 2023 19:20 #18176 by Geno
Next up was getting it running.  After getting out a good battery, hooking up my alternative fuel tank, and adjusting a few things it finally started.  After about 10 minutes it cleared out, ran, and idled good.  Everything in the factory starting system still works and the charging system is good. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Nov 2023 19:29 #18177 by Geno
Tomorrow will be steam cleaning time.  Everything is loose and there are just bolts in some holes to keep things loosely together while it is cleaned.  As things are cleaned they will come right off to get to other areas, and cleaned parts will go right on the cart.  Some things are already on there and ready. 

There was more cutting to do to save the throttle cable and clip, the exhaust will have to be cut off later, and the generator shaft has been hitting the belt guard but that will all get addressed later. 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Nov 2023 18:25 - 08 Nov 2023 18:28 #18179 by Geno
Today was a record high of 83, a nice day to enjoy and do some steaming. 

Everything is in the shop now and ready to move on.  

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 08 Nov 2023 18:28 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Nov 2023 18:30 #18180 by Geno
Of course the more you clean the more you find to do...   

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Nov 2023 18:42 #18181 by Geno
This tractor is the first one to show up with the correct screws for the rear of the hood so I thought I would try a little experiment I've been thinking about since last night...  

Biggest problem was figuring out a way to get these chucked up with some room to work, after that resurfacing was easy.  The only way I could see to knurl these was with a tool I had that I never used before.  It was one of those "that's a cool tool, I could prob use it some day" purchases, and today was the day.   The standard knurling tools just push on something from the side but the screw wasn't chucked up good enough for that. 

It's not exactly like the original but after they are done, cleaned up, blasted and painted they will look and function a lot better than the way they were.  

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds