• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
27 Oct 2021 10:44 - 27 Oct 2021 10:47 #17344 by Geno
Single Fuse Block Assy was created by Geno
There have been a lot of calls for these over the years so I'm getting ready to finally do the factory correct single fuse holder assy. There is no number for these as Toro or Wheel Horse never offered a complete assy. Some parts are here and the rest of them will be here this week. The first run of these made will be 100 assemblies. Over 200 of the terminals and leads are already made up so it will go pretty quick. :thumb

Here is the parts breakdown shown in the diagram pic below along with current Toro prices -

#9 - 109117 - Housing (discontinued by Toro) Was $4.62
#10 - 108895 - Terminal - $3.18 (need 2) ($6.36)
#11 - 109445 - Clip - $5.14
** Total parts price minus wire from Toro - $16.15 plus shipping. Quite a steep price for 4 small parts, and to add insult to injury the wire and terminals are still undersized, you still have to put it together, and have special crimpers to do it right...

As with the 520 4 gang fuse block we make, the parts used to build this part will be the same exact parts as what Toro used from the same supplier minus the heavier fuse terminals and wire. Like with most things they designed electrically, the terminals and wire were undersized as you can see in the pics below causing failure from too much heat at the wire connection. The terminal will be upgraded to the same higher amperage terminal used in our 520 fuse block along with the larger 12 gauge automotive grade stranded pure copper wire. This will fix the problem of the overheating and need to replace this in the future.

This upgraded assy will be made here in house from all Made in USA parts of course. It will also cost less and be assembled and ready to install at a price of around $12.99. They should be done and in the store by this weekend. :thumb1

I'll update this post over the next few days as parts come in and things happen.

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 27 Oct 2021 10:47 by Geno.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Oct 2021 18:57 #17350 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Single Fuse Block Assy
The main connector housings were here yesterday and everything went together easily just like they should. 50 of them were assembled in no time and each one checked to make sure the terminals were put in correctly, the reds and blacks were all the same in each housing, and matched the original positions for input and output in true OCD style lol... :laughing

The red goes over to the starter sol with plenty of wire to spare for a nice drip loop and extra wire in case it ever does need an end redone, and the black is the output. It's just a 40+ year old habit that I use red on fusing for the input and black for the output in case anyone ever works on it (including me) can quickly check the main feed wire. :thumb

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
29 Oct 2021 19:19 #17351 by Geno
The clips came in today and I forgot just how tight these clips were in the housings, they go in and they never come out... It didn't take long to figure out that that some kind of jig needed to be made to put them in without putting any scratches on the housing or bending the clip. I had some blocks of aluminum that I had for another project years ago that were left over, so one end got flushed and a groove cut in the other that fit the clip just shy of touching the housing. Some smoothing with the wire wheel to get rid of any sharp edges and a hole drilled and tapped for a 3/8 bolt and a jam nut to mount it in a vise and it was ready to go. A few light taps from a rubber hammer and it goes together nicely with absolutely no damage to the housing or clip. :thumb1

Now that there's a system to make them that does them right and looks professionally made they will get made up in the morning while things are quiet.

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
30 Oct 2021 14:09 #17353 by Geno
Since the housing is discontinued by Toro and the clip is about to be, we bought all our main supplier had in stock. There are still 400+ housings and 600+ clips here in case they totally disappear in the near future. The heavier 12 gauge terminals we have plenty of that are also used in the upgraded 520 fuse block we make.

They turned out really nice and will be a nice part to have around here. They will be used on all WH tractor models we work on from now on that need a fuse holder assy. They are finished and 100 of them are in the store. :thumb1

They are here - Single Fuse Block Assy

Welcome to the Stables!

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds