• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
04 Jul 2023 18:28 - 04 Jul 2023 18:36 #18065 by Geno
Another 520-8 was created by Geno
I was tickled to death when I got my first one of these years ago because they only made 200 of them total, all in 1990.  Then I found another one with 244 hrs on it that was so nice that it just got taken apart, pressure washed, some little things then and put back together.  It did get an 11 pinion posi rearend put in it and gear reduction steering as well, there's a topic on it somewhere on here...  

Now I am blessed that there are 3 of them here.  I just got to meet a friend that I've helped for many years on the phone on things that just brought me another one.  We've been talking about it for many years but he finally came this way on his way through the state today and brought it.  It needs some work but I have plenty of parts that it needs that work off the 520H like a front wheel, engine screen, and a lower dash panel, and prob a few other things.

Good thing is the essential 8 speed parts are all there and it has the correct original number tag for an 8 speed on the rear fender.  The rear fender and maybe the side covers + steps will have to be replaced to make it slick but that's ok.  The hood is super nice with no dents or anything so that's nice.   

He also brought me a barely used front chipper with all the Wheel Horse brackets.  I may play with this stuff some in the next week or 2 and will put some updates in here later.  

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 04 Jul 2023 18:36 by Geno.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2023 15:26 #18066 by jm46322
Replied by jm46322 on topic Another 520-8
Geno, it's time to make your magic happen.
more than enough power to make anything possible with that set up.

John in Highland Indiana
self appointed chief mechanic at
WOODWARD FARMS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
06 Jul 2023 17:53 #18067 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Another 520-8
I've been lazier than usual this year, I can't remember where I put my magic wand lol.  

Welcome to the Stables!

More
07 Jul 2023 09:02 #18068 by jm46322
Replied by jm46322 on topic Another 520-8
A pickup bed with Firewood in it is not a sign of laziness. You're spending your time wisely. making hay well the sun shines. Make tractors when the snow falls, it's the balance of enjoying what one does.  

John in Highland Indiana
self appointed chief mechanic at
WOODWARD FARMS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geno

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Jul 2023 14:39 - 08 Jul 2023 14:42 #18069 by Geno
I just did a little searching on the chipper and found out they are a more top of the line product although I never heard of them.  They have a lot of products now and all still made in USA.  They are also still in business so I'm gonna try to call them on Monday and see if they have any info on this one. 

www.mackissic.com/

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 08 Jul 2023 14:42 by Geno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jm46322

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Jul 2023 16:32 #18070 by Geno
I hadn't opened the hood yet but was pleasantly surprised of how complete it was, didn't expect that. 

Then I was curious and had the time so I dug into the non running part.  It only has around 400 hours but there has already been some "rigging" of safety switches, fuse block, and 9 pin connector of course...   The starter has also been beat to death, the PTO switches are taped up with electrical tape, and other cool things like that lol.     I highly doubted the starter had a problem because thy rarely ever do, with any 520 it usually goes back to the wiring...

The PTO switch prob should be because of the bushings being out of place, I've fixed that several times before by just replacing the bushings so the switches will get pushed in properly.  Just did one a little over a month ago while the customer waited, doesn't take long when you are used to doing a lot of them.

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Jul 2023 16:58 - 08 Jul 2023 17:21 #18071 by Geno
After checking everything out I found the problem with the cranking.  The main feed terminal to the starter relay was broken.  After pulling the connector and jumping the feed terminal to the starter wire in the connector it turned right over.  Did it about 20+ times and all seems ok.  It will get the entire connector replaced regardless and that should be good, we'll see...

After finding that problem I checked everything else and there was no power to the coil.  The "fix" or jumper across the 9 pin connector is the problem there, it has already failed.   After running a jumper from the battery to the coil there was spark. 

After that I got to the carb, sprayed some carb cleaner in it, put the jumper on the coil, stuck the broken wire in the starter wire at the relay and it started right up.    It seemed smooth and didn't smoke but I'm still not sure if the engine is solid.  I'm thinking it may be, at least it didn't have a dead miss, didn't smoke, and was quiet.  It may have been sold because someone couldn't get it to crank or run.  We'll see on that as well...

I need to take a few more things apart and pull the top of the carb to get a look inside.  If it looks good I can run my alternative fuel tank right to the carb then try the above again to check more things out.  I don't have enough hands to do it all right now.  It's getting late so that will be a job for next week...  

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2023 17:21 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
10 Jul 2023 18:02 - 10 Jul 2023 18:10 #18073 by Geno
I had a little time today so I went on and popped the top off of the carb and it looked really good.  I can tell someone has been in there before and cleaned it up.  Matter of fact someone has been pretty much every where trying to fix this thing.  All of the engine shields have been removed and most of the bolts are wrong or missing, the flywheel screen is mis-indexed so they couldn't get the last 2 bolts in it, the main flywheel bolt has been out and prob isn't torqued, 1 engine lift is missing, and a few other telltales... 

Barring all of the above for now I put the carb back together, made a new lead that was bad for the starter relay, set up my aux fuel setup, put the jumper on the coil, then she started right up with the key as normal.  I ran it until it was good and hot, set up the carb, then it wasn't charging lol.  The engine is smooth and quiet and doesn't smoke, a very surprising but good thing.  After it cooled for awhile I cleaned up the jumpers around the 9 pin connector, and spread all of the male connectors in the 9 pin for a better temporary connection and everything is working now. 

As usual,,, someone spent a lot of time and effort chasing things when it boiled down to the 9 pin connector and an unusual broken connector at the starter relay...  

Bad news for me is now I have to take all the shields and flywheel off to see if someone made any kind of mess in there, fix those messes, then put it all back together the way it should be...  

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 10 Jul 2023 18:10 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
11 Jul 2023 18:22 #18074 by Geno
Didn't have a lot of time today but did manage to get the rear hubs off, cleaned up and put back on.  It was almost impossible to get it on the forklift because as you can see in the first pics someone moved the hubs in a long time ago, prob to get a 42" deck on it.  Of course they came off the hard way but the shafts are cleaned up, hubs blasted inside, greased up and can be removed easily now.  No seals or anything else were replaced, that never gets done until it's steam cleaned, blasted, prepped, and painted first.  At least it will be easy to get on and off of the forklift now without hitting the input pulley and brake pulley, that's what I was really after.

Now if I can get a correct wheel on the right front, the next step will be to check out the drive train and ride it around some.  After that and finally knowing what I'm up against then it will be time to move on.  

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
12 Jul 2023 18:21 - 12 Jul 2023 18:22 #18075 by Geno
I called the chipper peeps yesterday and they sent me a manual + parts list.  They told me it was a 1977 and even sent a manual for the 1977 Wheel Horse C series fitment.  Since the 71 up tractors are all pretty much the same as far as frame and tach-a-matic it was perfect.  I was pretty amazed. 

This one I have is complete belt and all according to the manual so all I need to do is put it on something and check it out.    

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 12 Jul 2023 18:22 by Geno.

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds