• Topic Author
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
05 Mar 2024 18:45 #18308 by Geno
Dennis' C-160 was created by Geno
Dennis brought a few things from Indy this morning to work on, he's been here before.  He bought a C-160 Auto, the mid mount grader, and a few other things here about 4 years ago.  This C-160-8 and tiller was his dad's that he bought new.  This post is so he can see pics and we can talk about things as they happen.  Everyone else can take a look too of course. 

Here are a few pics before cleaning things up.  The main drive pulley has been loose for awhile and will need to be replaced, there is also a little damage to the crankshaft but I think if it's cleaned up, a new pulley and locks should last for quite awhile.  PTO bearings are bad, and the disc and bell need to be resurfaced.  There's water and some other goo in the transmission as well, this pic before cleaning is so I don't get the blame after steam cleaning it lol. 

Welcome to the Stables!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
05 Mar 2024 18:48 #18309 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Dennis' C-160
Some pics after steam cleaning. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
06 Mar 2024 18:34 #18310 by Geno
Just some pics of the while not being used leaks.  There are leaks at the seals but Dennis mentioned there may be some in the case because it leaked the most when it was off the tractor not being used and he was right.  I angled the front down this morning and checked it after lunch and found a leak in the front of the case.  You can see in the first pic after being leaned forward there was no leak showing up at the rear of the case.  After that I left it up most of the afternoon and just found another toward the rear of the case.  Hopefully it may just be loose bolts but didn't have time to check them today, I'm concentrating on the tractor first. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
07 Mar 2024 18:56 - 07 Mar 2024 19:03 #18312 by Geno
Spent today digging deeper into the PTO parts and getting everything rounded up and ready to go back together.  I have several NOS pulleys and keys for the drive.  This is the most damage I've seen to a pulley.  The crankshaft has a little damage but it's cleaned up and should be ok for a long time.  Everything was moving so much the PTO clutch was hitting the engagement bracket as you can see in the pic. 

After all the PTO parts were cleaned up and checked out everything is getting replaced.  There were no retainers inside to hold the race and it was spinning on the shaft, you can see the marks on the inside of the race next to a good used one I got out.  The spring setup that pushes out the bell on the older models all came apart and chewed up the bell where the outer bearing stop is.  I got out a nice used bell, blasted it and it is like new.  The replacement bell and old clutch disc were resurfaced today and are ready to go.  The close up of the bearing shows one of my fav things at the top - USA.  This part of the job can be put back together in the morning to check things out.  The only thing missing is the inner bearing seal, I thought I had more but they're not where they belong or I ran out and was too busy and forgot to order more...  Either way I have 30 more on order and they will be here next week. 

The last pic has a tool I made labeled PTO to set the backstop for the seal and is used to press the bearing in.  I like easy, easy is good.    

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 07 Mar 2024 19:03 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Mar 2024 10:34 #18313 by Geno
Decided to look into the wobbly shifter this morning.  Looks like the set screw backed way out and chewed it in half, it also ate up the shifter.  First time seeing one this bad.  The shifter also had to be removed, chucked up in the vise, and a pipe wrench used to get the knob off.  Nothing going the easy way on this one...  

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Mar 2024 14:32 #18314 by Geno
Putting things back together.  If anyone wants to make a PTO bearing installer like mine it's just a piece of old used 2" water pipe.  The end was turned down on the lathe a little under 1 7/8" in diameter, and the depth is 9/32", just a little more than the seal which is 1/4" wide.  I use the wider uncut end for pressing the bearing in most of the way then flip it for the final correct backset. 

Everything was put back on the tractor to check out the adjustment and I noticed the tower was moving a lot which brings us to the next problem in the last pic... 

Welcome to the Stables!

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
08 Mar 2024 17:35 #18315 by Geno
The crack is welded up, a new drive belt is on, and the mid Tach-A-Matic spring is replaced.  The left axle had been replaced before and I had to put a different cotter pin in it to clear the new wheel cap so I thought I would shim it as well.  I thought I should go on and shim the right wheel too while I was into it.  When I checked the right wheel it had a lot of play in the inner bearing so I thought no need to call and bother Dennis with this I'll just replace it.  I replaced it then the wheel wouldn't go back on...  I felt for burrs and what I felt was bad news.  I put it up higher and saw the problem.  I think I need to quit taking things apart on this tractor, every time I do it brings a new surprise...  

At least the left one still looks new. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Mar 2024 17:21 - 09 Mar 2024 18:30 #18316 by Geno
Latest progress is a new mid Tach-A-Matic spring, replacing the right front spindle, both right wheel bearings, and shimming the wheels.  There was a lot of play in the steering gear so upon checking it out there was another small mess under there I hadn't seen before.  Peeps need to pay more attention lol, anyway it's fixed and needless to say the steering is a lot better than it was. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 09 Mar 2024 18:30 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Mar 2024 17:36 - 09 Mar 2024 18:35 #18317 by Geno
After that there was a mess to address with the throttle cable that someone moved.  It should never be under the governor where it can interfere with it, let alone if something came loose and it went wide open it would be motor time...  The rear cable bracket was moved back to the rear PTO bracket bolt, cable was rerouted above the governor, the correct clamp was put on the breather bolt, and everything was adjusted including the carb.  Someone also got creative when the cable was moved by cutting off and re-bending a choke cable bracket that was on the breather bolt...  

The transmission has been drained + refilled, the new shifter has been blasted, painted, and installed along with a new set screw, lock, and boot.  The shifter top plate was pretty rough and bent up so it was removed, straightened out, smoothed up, blasted + painted.  The shift levers were also adjusted a little.  It's getting close now. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Last edit: 09 Mar 2024 18:35 by Geno.

• Geno
  • Topic Author
    Super Users
More
09 Mar 2024 17:46 - 09 Mar 2024 17:50 #18318 by Geno
Most of the tractor is back together and the way it should be.  I'm still waiting on the PTO seals to come in next week to finish that up.  The shifter cover paint is drying and will be ready to put on Monday along with the rear fender and seat.    Last 2 pics are all that's left to put on, and the parts replaced.  This one turned out to be quite the project...  

Next week it will be time to tackle the tiller... 

I'm already on the new time so it's time to go, I move it up in the morning to shorten the day, not my sleep. 

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Mar 2024 17:50 by Geno.

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds