Starting Fluid - 520H Onan

More
25 Jun 2018 14:44 #14699 by GoBucks
So, it cranks, but doesn't fire. If I add a little starting fluid it starts right up. This is only need for the first start of the week, if I cut it off, wash it off, etc, and get back on, it starts up fine.

Note, I was out of town for a month this time. I posted about the fuse holder, it's cranking now and just before I left at the end of May. Both times though, it didn't want to fire.

Any tips to lead me in the right direction?
Fuel filter?
Carb adjustment?
Fuel pump?

I replaced 1 spark plug before my trip. Yeah, only 1, short on time and the Previous Owner put in a full size car battery, so I can't easily get to the 2nd until I pull the battery.

Thank you,
Sam

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Geno
  • Administrator Supporter
    Super Users
  • Wheel Horse Stables Owner
More
26 Jun 2018 08:18 #14700 by Geno
Replied by Geno on topic Starting Fluid - 520H Onan
Hey Sam. Have you tried taking the fuel line off at the filter and cranking it to see if the fuel pump is pumping?

Welcome to the Stables!

More
26 Jun 2018 11:13 #14701 by GoBucks
Replied by GoBucks on topic Starting Fluid - 520H Onan
Question, are there supposed to be 2 fuel filters on the 520H? Mine has one under the fuel tank and one by the fuel filter.

N0, I haven't tried it yet.

• Geno
    Super Users
More
26 Jun 2018 15:12 #14702 by Geno
Should have only 1 fuel filter above the engine.

Welcome to the Stables!
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2018 17:28 #14707 by GoBucks
Saturday morning, I went out to cut the grass, it cranked but wouldn't start. I then removed the hose on the input side of the fuel filter, cranked a couple seconds and gas spurted out.

So, is there a carburetor adjustment I can make to fix the No start issue? It runs great once started, and will start up again no problem.

Thank you,
Sam

More
01 Jul 2018 19:47 #14708 by GoBucks
FYI: I did replace the spark plug wires this spring.

Looking into this, it sounds like the choke might be sticking or the needles in the carb are stuck?

More
06 Jul 2018 10:32 #14713 by GoBucks
I figured it out, the Choke wasn't closing all the way. I took the air cleaner off, pushed the choke down all the way, and it started right up. I hit it with some carb/choke cleaner last night, I'll do it again this morning on the outside of the carb and see how it does.

More
14 Jan 2019 14:46 #15120 by GoBucks
The problem is the choke doesn't close all the way.

How do I adjust it? I sprayed choke cleaner inside and out.

I disconnected the choke cable where it attaches to the carb. I then pushed the choke down all the way to close. I re-attached the cable. No luck, when I moved the choke cable up and down, the choke still wouldn't close all the way.

Thank you,
Sam

• Geno
    Super Users
More
14 Jan 2019 15:02 #15121 by Geno
Does it seem like the choke is binding? Close the choke all the way with the adjustment loosened, then pull the choke lever up just a little (1/8") like you're choking it, then tighten the adjustment screw it should close fine. :thumb1

Welcome to the Stables!

More
28 Jan 2019 14:41 #15163 by GoBucks
Should the choke close completely?

It doesn't bind, but doesn't want to close with the cable all the way. I adjusted it Saturday, then started it Ok Sunday, but it doesn't close completely. I also had in my mind your directions backwards. I choked it all the way, then loosened the nut, then pulled the choke down just a little, then pushed the choke closed with my finger, then tightened the nut.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D7aglJEWTgknexHys4LljlrBkJ3rIu4YpoUb_3eETyGtqgFT5M7WFjZ5295lfGPcWSDzdnPBwhlfIwuISvXqgFhrg8yg3hH4Iz3y6D6FSm2Mye9ybYfO6iUsFVTXAmXeiIsIBJa_t1PplZkuxR-YTVoSJ9JZim2p0DtFjixYIh4Oi2AwY0sYBiT3HrBG9QSkgvOHTC0l-Th--Q0e7kDaiWUC3qDBhssDkNUj-LUoV_Biu7uPyUSQcp1B1IIiNwFSVm7WwOpTfeppje5_cCYDh-dWCMrtXMJONKSKcj_LXzZ06I5DPTc1iHohR0tR9Jtvyoe1bn3mvh-HaLFBv0mk7DrUVaZJc53XGQB_3vicHFQr7hk1qzSG_fL6AOwdPtljGWp4CEBGHuIbqnhwb8NC05TQOaOa4PgB_lda4VeE0KVE7etU4BAHEn7n_2ukLQJlkDRCpzn-_1WInQklUig2VOHiAAYvNgbuja0wq7-xbWB2lF-C5UTdnURBsh8bbnSyvxKL4RBkCkqk3I_wLIpMpDabPHo4eSoGdKtGsRorXeuv4iv_D-vZSPkjEGJ0-ISVy6ZKldoz52PYlrhXAOEzUR4pgADN5Vv1a-JFeo3e5l1UIbPxzXQ8wwh6hfWqB8thXEJ7BY9IeZqK7qvmawaKK6jiew=w1583-h890-no

520H choke

Time to create page: 0.357 seconds